When was the last time you took your vehicle for an inspection? Is it when it breaks down or when it refuses to start?
70% of Nigerians are guilty of this negligence and many more still do understand the need for it.
Vehicle inspections are very useful for car owners. They paint an accurate picture of the health of the vehicle.
This is why the Periodic Motor Vehicle Inspection (PMVI) has been legislated in many countries and cities for a number of decades.
The main purpose of the PMVI is to prevent accidents by decreasing the number of defective vehicles.
HOW OFTEN SHOULD WE GO FOR THE COMPUTERISED VEHICLE INSPECTION?
Inspections are required either at specified time intervals, (6months for Commercial Vehicles) (12 months for Private Vehicles) or when an event such as the sale of a used vehicle takes place.
The PMVI ensures that vehicles meet a minimum safety standard before they receive a Road Worthiness Certificate, tag and Vehicle Inspection Report.
In Lagos State, the Lagos Computerised Vehicle Inspection Service, LACVIS, coordinated by the Ministry of Transportation, has been set up to conduct PMVI using computerized equipment to determine the road worthiness of a vehicle.
THE NEED FOR THE COMPUTERISED VEHICLE INSPECTION
The following are some of the benefits of undergoing the computerized vehicle inspection at LACVIS.
- It ensures the safety of the driver and other road users.
- It ensures preventive maintenance is done on vehicles.
- It improves the environmental conditions: cleaner and safer society.
- It helps to limit the number of stolen vehicles.
- It aids in applying the official rules and regulations pertaining to vehicles on the roads.
- It improves road safety, by reducing the number of casualties.
- It helps to minimize fuel consumption of vehicles, as well-maintained vehicles consume
- It assists in the creation of a database available to government agencies.
- It improves road safety by reducing the number and severity of road traffic crashes caused by vehicle malfunction.
- It reduces the impact on the environment and public health through reductions in pollution.
- It reduces traffic congestion caused by vehicle breakdowns and accidents.
- It minimize harmful exhaust emissions and protect the environment
- It increases reliability of your vehicle and limit the risk of vehicle breakdown
- It generates new investments and jobs
WHAT ARE THE INSPECTIONS CARRIED OUT AT A LACVIS CENTRE.
- Identification of the vehicle
- Braking equipment
- Lamps, reflectors and electrical equipment
- Axles, wheels, tyres and suspension system
- Chassis and chassis attachments
- Other equipment
- Exhaust & Emission
It is widely accepted that vehicles should be subjected to regular technical inspection at pre-set intervals throughout their life.
LACVIS CENTERS ACROSS THE STATE.
Feel free to ask any questions about how LACVIS conducts vehicle inspections.