On Thursday 18th July 2019, the 4th annual Lagos Traffic Radio Lectures Series was held at Eko FM multipurpose Hall Agidingbi Ikeja with theme “Lagos Beyond Roads; with a focus to setting the agenda for the future Traffic Management system in Lagos State and leverage on the comparative advantage of the city into transforming it into a Mega Smart City for robust Inter modal and Multi modal Transport system.
The welcome speech was delivered by Mr. Fola Adeyemi Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Information and Strategy, while the Goodwill message was given by Dr, Taiwo Olufemi Salaam (P.S Ministry of Transportation), where he talked about the goals and focus of the ministry and how the Radio station started in 2012, in order to give update on traffic situation in the state.
The chairman of Institute of Strategic Management, Lagos Chapter, Air Vice Marshal(Dr) S.O Smith (Rtd) gave lectures on “strategic Approach to Multi Modal Transport system for Lagos State” where he talked about the perspective of Lagos state with 22 Million people and situated at on coastal line of the country, and that there are 3 major components of Transportation, which are,
- Infrastructure which includes Roads, Seaport, Bridges, Jetties etc
- Vehicles; Cars, Ships, Trains, Aircrafts etc
- and Operation ; involves the usage, compliance, financing policies etc
In achieving the state of Intermodal Smart City of Lagos this strategic plans needs to be implemented using Smart Data for planning, Smart Energy to power the transport sector, Smart Infrastructure, Smart Transportation, Smart law enforcement of Traffic rules and regulations, which will in turn involve stakeholders in the sector, develop a strategy for effective funding, local content, facility management and compliance to laws.
Sen.Olorunnimbe Mamora who was one of the guest speakers, emphasized on the need to harness the potentials of the inland waterways and that it cost a ratio of 1:4 to move good and passengers on water to roads,.He further outlined the achievements of past administrations and charged the present to boost efforts of its predecessors.
The Special Guest of Honor and lead speaker of the event, His Excellency Babatunde Fashola (SAN), talked about how the state had started the inter modal Transport system during the administration of Pa Lateef Jakande , with Jetties, Train tracks, airports etc, and that the present just need to improve on what has been laid. Also discussed about the problems and opportunities that comes with the Traffic situation in the state stating that any major cities in the world experience traffic, but if well managed will brings about licensing, ticketing, parking lots, thereby creating jobs and improving the economic value chain.
He recommended that that the following will help reduce and manage the Traffic in the state.
- Urgently complete the Blueline Rail Project which runs from Okoko to Marina.
- To operationalize all the terminals within the state and also expand the BRT lanes focusing on the IBILE structure.
- Focus on the Badagry – Lagos Expressway, where he said the contract has being awarded
- Resurfacing of all the Central spin Roads in Lagos
- Resuscitate the three Asphalt plants in the state; Ojodu, Imota and Badagry plants
- Patching of any potholes in the central spin road
- Get LASTMA officials to work beyond 6pm on all the central spin roads
- Introduce Transport Education; where Traffic Radio can run transport educative program with call-in and quiz packages for the masses, also the state ministry of education should include Road use education into the curriculum from Basic to tertiary education for our children.
He further commended the staffs of the Traffic Radio for their efforts in keeping the radio station engaging and updated since its commencement in 2012
The Deputy Governor, His Excellency Dr. Kadri Hamzat, thanked the guest speaker and the Management of Traffic Radio for their efforts and pledge their commitment towards the vision of their administration in making Lagos a Smart City and their recent efforts in within months in office to seeking that the goals are achieved, where he talked about the ongoing discussions with UBER partnership in ferry and waterway transport, the setup of office for Facility Management, which will help address the maintenance challenges of facilities in the state using technology, also about the collaboration of Lagos and Ogun state to commence the Redline Rail Project
The Deputy Governor stated that Traffic Management can only be effective when reliable data is gathered and worked on. Hence the suspension of the toll pass at certain hours within the lekki toll gates, and admonished the officials of the VIS, LASTMA and FRSC for their immerse contribution in Traffic Management in the state.
Awards were given to outstanding officials from the VIS, FRSC and LASTMA by the deputy Governor and dignitaries at the Event.